Saturday, June 9, 2012

Scraps to Cards

Each month I host a training session for our group of consultants, and we always have a creative project of some sort.  I have delegated the creative projects to Vicki Price (check out her blog), and she has never let us down.  This month, our assignment was to bring 2 standard card bases (in Colonial White and White Daisy), 6 stamp sets of our choice (including sentiments), and 4 stamp pads (Black, Cocoa, Desert Sand, Chocolate).  I couldn't imagine what our project was going to entail.

Vicki brought each of us, a series of scraps...all the same, for each person participating.  I wish I would have taken a picture of the pieces we had to work with...I wasn't thinking clearly...as the assignment was given to us.  I was freaking out...I'm a planner, not a fly by the seat of my pants kind of gal! LOL

Our assignment - we had 30-45 minutes to design a card, using ALL the pieces in our "scrap" kit and the stamps and inks we brought.  No cheating!  We weren't allowed to look at our neighbors designs.  She almost made us turn with our backs to each other so we wouldn't cheat.  You see, when Vicki makes a project, we have lots of "followers" on our team (yes, we have some rebels too...you know who you are! LOL), that copy EXACTLY what Vicki is teaching.  This time, she didn't even create a card...we were truly left to our own imaginations!  Yikes!  We didn't even have our trusty card confidence programs to follow.

So here was my first design:
Not bad, eh?  I was given scraps from the Florentine & Footloose paper packs, a few cricut images, buttons, waxy flax and some retired ribbon (we all have some...use it up!).  For this particular card, I chose to use the Enjoy Life stamp set.  It was one I happen to bring with me...I hadn't used it in awhile!

Here's what everyone else created:

Then came our second "scrap" kit.  Same rules applied...this time it was scraps from Wings & Sweetheart (retired) paper packs, along with cricut shapes, buttons, waxy flax and a button brad.  Here's my creation, using the Love Life stamp set:
And the group created these:
Not a like one in the bunch!  It was so fun to see what everyone created...you can definitely see the different creative styles we have in our group.  I've never seen our group so quiet and focused as we created our cards! As much as this project stressed me out at first, it was fun to think outside of the box, and on a whim.  Thanks again for the challenge (aka - torture), Vicki!

I challenge you to try this with the scraps you have...Go Green, use them up!  Turn your trash into a treasure.



No comments:

Post a Comment