Monday, September 10, 2012

Photo-less Layout...Live in the Moment

I have to admit, this was a first for me.  The project accomplished exactly what it was suppose to...get us thinking outside the box, and outside of our comfort zone!  At first, it was VERY intimidating, but then after I got started, it was exciting watching it all come together.

We were given an assignment (challenge) as we left our team overnight retreat last month to document our time spent together as a team, in a 1- or 2- page layout...without using any photos!  WHAT???  No photos...that's right, we could NOT use any photos on our pages.  We had to bring the experience to life by using journaling and stamping.  Not an easy task.

Only a few of us completed the assignment (on time) but I hope those that didn't will take the time to do it and show it another time.  It was fun to see how different each layout was...each one was truly a piece of art!  However, each layout shared the same theme in the journaling...friendship, food, memories and creativity.

Here's mine:
and with my journaling exposed:
(click on images to see in more detail)

I used the Dakota paper packet, it's quickly becoming one of my favorites!  I must have used a dozen different stamp sets to get the "word puzzle" look I was going for.  Most of those stamp sets are long retired from CTMH, but nonetheless, still some of my favorites, just for this purpose!

The note (with a pull-out tab) on the right page actually contains the assignment we were given...this is a great technique to save memorabilia of any kind.  I created a "pocket" by popping up the word puzzle using 3-D foam tape, and keeping the 4th side open, to slide the paper inside.  It reads: "How often do you actually live in the moment or allow yourself to enjoy an experience?  My guess is probably not often enough." Then goes on with journaling prompts to help us really reflect on the time we spent together.

As scrapbookers, we are usually always behind the camera, shooting tons of pictures just to get the perfect one, and most often aren't living in the moment, and missing the entire experience altogether.  Sometimes, just forget the camera...and live in the moment...experience every aspect of the time you have with others.  My hope for you, is to try this challenge for yourself...next time you don't have pictures of an event (for one reason or another), make a layout without any pictures, and let only your journaling tell the story!

2 comments:

  1. I love your pages! I totally forgot about the assignment until I read your post...oops! It is one i wanted to do so when i get it done i will be sure to post pics. Did you take pics of any of the others? I would love to see them.

    ReplyDelete